Generally, self-care is understood as taking care of our own self in terms of maintaining physical health. Nowadays, one of the popular selfcare tricks is skincare which is being promoted by many of the social media influencers. Other ways include wearing proper clothes, having good hair days, and keep-up yourself with attractive appearance. Undoubtedly, selfcare includes all these elements but one must not consider it as a complete form selfcare. Albeit these elements have significant role in upliftment of some people’s self-confidence. But are these the only ways of taking your own care.
Self-care is defined as a process of taking one’s own care in terms of physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing. It is a multidimensional and multifaceted concept. When we introspect, we discover somethings which we do not know earlier. This happens because we lack self-awareness. One of the main reasons why people lack the quality of selfcare is they do not focus on their own mind and body. Before jumping onto the selfcare process one must be fully knowing his or her own self. Selfcare boosts resilience, self-confidence, self-esteem, satisfaction and peace. It also energizes you and motivates you to live your life best. There some techniques for developing selfcare which are as follows:
- Know yourself: This is the fundamental question in selfcare. We should be aware about our needs, choices, preferences, goals, and physiology of our body.
- Maintain physical health: As we are living in hard and fast world, we might sometimes go out of our regular schedule which in turn might cause disturbance in our life. You need to take of your physical body if you want it to run efficiently. There's a strong connection between your body and your mind. When you're caring for your body, you'll think and feel better too. It includes how much sleep you're getting, what kind of food you are having, are you working out or not and what you do for being healthy, and how well you’re caring for your bodily needs.
- Beware of your mental health: Often, we care about our physical health. But we neglect our mental health in times of stress or any other mental health issue. The way you think and the things that you're filling your mind with greatly influence your psychological well-being. Practicing self-analysis, self-compassion, and acceptance helps you to maintain your inner self wellbeing.
- Daily emotional check in: Emotions play a vital role in maintenance of your overall mental and physical health. Emotional check in is a time to stop, pause and assess how you feel in the moment. For example, asking yourself about how are you feeling today, what emotion are you feeling the most today, what was the best part of the last day for you. Giving it a daily check might help you to figure out your strengths and weaknesses and ways to keep-up with them. Emotional awareness helps us to know what we need or want and move past difficult feelings easily.
- Positive affirmations: In order to enhance the complete health both physical as well as mental, you should be following some mantra to keep yourself on the track positively. For example, ‘day by day in every way I’m getting better and better’. Affirmations help you to bring out best out of you which helps in keeping your mental health well and stable by providing an impetus in your self-confidence.